Protocol Out, at Last
Zhelnov P. Protocol out, at last. Zheln. 2020 Dec 5;49(2):s23e1. URI: https://zheln.com/summary/2020/12/05/2/.
|« Previous Summary Post
|Next Summary Post »
Zheln Flow Diagram
- At last, I have finalized and published a full-featured academic protocol for Zheln! You can find and read it here for free: DOI 10.31222/osf.io/y2nrb. I also submitted it for PROSPERO registration but was told processing the submission might take up to three months due to very high demand.
- I welcome wide discussion and feedback of any sort very much, so please do engage me on Twitter or elsewhere!
- There are 723 recent systematic review records on Zheln currently. They are added daily, most of them were published this fall, and each of them is counting as a true positive by Shojania & Bero 2001 criteria for systematic reviews.
- These records came from my Replicated Systematic Subset PubMed query retrieving most of all systematic reviews being published in peer-reviewed international health care journals.
- I’m also tagging the records with AMA specialty tags taken from the AMA Physician Masterfile specialty list, so you can browse appraisals by AMA Specialty.
- Browsing by PubMed-indexing date is under development—see how it looks like for Oct 30, Oct 31, Nov 10, Nov 13, Nov 20, Nov 21, Nov 22, Nov 25, or Nov 27 records.
- Otherwise, you can watch Zheln records on the YouTube channel for Zheln (currently, Oct 31 and Nov 10, and Nov 25 videos are available). Since recently, I endeavor to publish one video-recorded critical appraisal of an important systematic review daily (two videos are available yet, please see the links in the appraisal list below).
- Unfortunately, due to very high load of records, I do miss some appraisal days, and the amount of time I spend on Zheln activities has varied. I have chosen to follow the Okazaki-fragments (or conveyor-belt) strategy in this regard: whenever I missed something, I usually do not go back but proceed further. I believe this is most appropriate for Zheln, due to its very living nature. In the future, however, when more staff (more than only me) is available, Zheln will definitely go stable.
List of Included Studies
As a rule, I select a review for full appraisal when the topic covered is likely to have a very large practice impact with regard either to both global health care workers and the public or to the minorities. COVID-19 publications are not selected. However, crowdfunding an appraisal is possible.
Some of the appraisals are already available as videos on YouTube, so click the button next to the appraisal heading to watch them!
NewEmpathy Training in Health Care #2
NewOceans & Human Health in Europe
NewComplementary and Alternative Medicine for Female or Male Infertility
NewSedentary Time & All-Cause Mortality
NewMaintenance of Abstinence from Alcohol in Primary Care
NewWHO Sedentary Behavior Guidelines
NewWHO Sedentary Behavior Guidelines #2
NewWHO Sedentary Behavior Guidelines #3
NewWHO Sedentary Behavior Guidelines #4
NewPreventing Foot Ulceration in Diabetes
- Prevention of Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea in Adults
- International Consensus Statement on Rhinology and Allergy: Rhinosinusitis
- Literacy in Omics Sciences
- Mindfullness Mobile Apps in Europe
- Transcranial AC Stimulation
- Equity in Virtual Health Care
- USPSTF on Pediatric HTN Screening
- Respiratory Virus Sampling
- Climate Change & Pregnancy AEs
- Supplements for Pregnancy HTN
- VA/DoD Low Back Pain Guideline
- Meds for (Meth)amphetamine Use
- Sport After Youth Trauma
- Lifestyle & Prostate Cancer
- Martial Arts & Mental Health
- Compassion for Self-Esteem
- E-Cigs & Metabolic Syndrome
- Biodegradation of Plastics
- Schoolbag Weight & Back Pain
- Massive Diabetes Prevention
- Attitudes & Eating Behavior
- What is the effect of physical exercise on executive function in adults older than 55 years of age?
- What are the therapeutic options for Gulf War Illness?
- How important the concept of homesickness is?
- What are the fetal outcomes of opioid detoxification in pregnancy?
- What are the outcomes of acetaminophen v. ibuprofen for fever or pain in children under two years old?
- Is quality and safety of hospital care different in outlying patients?
- How effective is a combination of alpha-blockers and PDE5-inhibitors for lower urinary tract symptoms?
- Is it good and safe to allow mother and baby skin-to-skin contact during a cesarian?
- What interventions are there to manage diabetes in homeless adults?
- What use are mindfulness-based interventions for mental symptoms of Parkinson’s disease?
- What progress has been made to date in terms of universal influenza vaccines?
- How effective are interventions to improve antibiotic-prescription behavior among PCPs?
- What are the reports of practical use of national guidelines on movement in Canada and similar countries?
- What evidence is there to support active break policies in elementary schools?
- What is known regarding policy to address pediatric suicidality?
- How important is postural control in Down syndrome?
- What works for at-risk mental states?
- What is the effect of ticagrelor monotherapy after PCI?
- How good is social accountability for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health?
- What is in the American Psychiatric Association guideline on schizophrenia?
CrowdfundedHow effective are tooth decay prevention measures in children six years old or younger?
- How good is C-reactive protein measurement with regard to health outcomes?
- What is the association between sugar-free gum and dental caries?
- How big is the impact of perinatal care systems on infant mortality?
- How effective is empathy training in health care education?
- What are the current therapeutic applications of human mesenchymal stem cells?
- How useful is patient blood management to improve outcomes of major surgery?
- What is the effectiveness of eHealth interventions for improving public health?
- What is the risk of congenital malformations associated with beta-blocker use in early pregnancy?
- How effective behavioral weight-loss interventions in diabetes are?
I had selected these systematic reviews for full appraisal, but their full texts were unavailable to me. Please contact me if you wish to help procuring them.
- Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation for Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women
- Ethics of Familial Genetic Testing
- How good is the uptake of the WHO Surgical Safety Checklist in low- and middle-income countries?
- What are the outcome predictors of Parent Management Training for child conduct problems?
- What is the role of a Registered Dietitian in weight management?
- How effective are anti-amyloid-β drugs for Alzheimer’s disease?
- How is homelessness experienced by transgender people?
- How useful is physical exercise for people living with breast cancer?
Get back for the next summary post on Wed, Dec 9
- Follow new video-appraisals on YouTube
- Read the Zheln protocol
- Watch Zheln gain full appraisal power
I’m also currently busy translating the PRISMA 2020 Statement into Russian, hence some Zheln hindrance.
Help Crowdfund Zheln
Zheln Is Supported by Crowdfunding Only
Running Zheln takes most of my work capacity. I’ve managed to stay off other jobs for now but will be forced to find another job unless crowdfunded by the end of this year.
In other words, you can’t be sure Zheln isn’t suspended in 2021 if you avoid funding it. But if you donate, I pledge to keep running Zheln in recognition of your support.
If you want Zheln to live on, please use one of these options:
Email Me About Anything
Bonus for Star Wars Fans!
Zheln subscription enables you to change the icon of a given Zheln record to a Star Wars symbol of your choice! Learn more on Zheln subscription platforms: Patreon, GitHub Sponsors, or Open Collective.
All Other Zheln Features Are Free for Everyone